We spent most of our time indoors last week. As soon as I started feeling better, Kyan caught my cold. We tried to stay engaged as much as we could in our apartment. Some things in our life last week:
1. New friends. Our next door neighbors have two little girls and we had a super fun playdate.
2. House bound. Staying indoors in an apartment was challenging and the toys that we lugged here from home proved to be invaluable, especially the marble run. The wooden floor hockey game is a favorite too.
3. Towards the end of the week, Kyan started feeling better and we were able to head outside for some activities. Experiencing the local culture through food. Kevin and Kyan are both adventurous in tasting the local cuisine, including the roadside stalls that sell a yummy, crispy tofu skin wrap.
4. We met with our friends Molly (the one with short hair) and her sister for a hotpot dinner. We met Molly 3 years ago in Shanghai while staying at the Kerry Hotel. She was an intern there then and connected with us, especially Kyan. We've kept in touch since. She's a supervisor at Ritz Carlton now. Great kid and we love her.
6. Kyan's new favorite food - Xiao Long Bao (Pork Soup Steamed Dumplings).
7. Valentine's Day. We head out on the convenient Metro, Kyan's new favorite transportation, to explore the city. We were searching for the Dongtai Road Antique market but they weren't open yet due to Chinese New Year holidays and we ended up across the street at the Bird, Fish, Insect, Flower Market in the Huangpu District. We all left feeling quite sad to see the birds confined in their tiny cages. They also sell crickets for cricket fighting.
8. A yummy ramen find near the Bird Market.
9. Family. Dinner with my Uncle Edmund.
10. Kyan loves being on the excavator. There were 14 different actions and great for memory and tactile development. I think we need to import one of these back to LA. Take it to the beach with us.
I hope you all had a wonderful week and a Happy Valentine's Day too.
P.S. Kyan started napping again. Yay! (Let's hope it lasts.)